Keep us, and your neighbors, in the know.
- News tips
- Community Events
- Become a blogger
- Submit a story
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Crews with the Wilmington Fire Department responded to a kitchen fire at an apartment in the 510 block of Taylor Street Wednesday, according to David Hines with the department.
Fire crews responded to the scene around 11:30 a.m., after receiving a call just five minutes prior, and found that the building’s sprinkler system had already completely extinguished the small fire with one head activation. Crews proceeded to stop the water flow to stop any more water damage and they removed smoke from the apartment.
The fire, accidental, sparked when an occupant left heated grease unattended and forgot about it.
Damages from the smoke and water are estimated at $40,000, but the building, full of many apartments, is valued at $4.7 million.
No one was injured.
Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.