Keep us, and your neighbors, in the know.
- News tips
- Community Events
- Become a blogger
- Submit a story
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – Firefighters were busy putting out an art studio fire on Monday morning.
The Wilmington Fire Department responded to a fire at Eighth and Meares streets around 11:30 a.m., according to Assistant Chief Frank Blackley. The fire caused considerable damage, Blackley said.
Jake Sutton, owner of the studio at 1022 South Eighth Street, said the fire started outside then caught the structure on fire.
"I was on my way to work, but I said I'm going to go ahead and detour because I like to see the excitement of something that's going on, and I like taking pictures," said Demetrius Brown, a witness. "So I said I'm going to turn in. I turned in and then the flames weren't that great at the time, but it was just gradually progressing."
Donna Moore, a local artist, lost mostly supplies and, Sutton said, 5,000 pieces of vinyl for an art project were in the studio.
Moore says she's upset about losing her work, but will be able to move on because her dog is OK.
"The fire was dramatic, no doubt about it," said Moore. "It was drama, but if there had been any life in our household harmed or taken, that would have been terrible. I can't imagine going through this with heartbreak as well."
A dog that was inside the studio managed to escape and was found safely at a nearby home.
Moore says she plans to keep drawing and will even work Tuesday night at the Cameron Art Museum.
The investigator determined the fire started from an electrical short in and around an outdoor refrigerator powered by an extension cord, Blackley said.
Copyright 2012 WECT. All rights reserved.