NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – The New Hanover County Board of Elections needs precinct officials to work on Election Day and compensation will be provided, according to a news release.
The qualifications to be a precinct official are listed below:
- Must be a registered voter in New Hanover County
- Must not be a candidate or near relative of a candidate in this election
- Must not be an elected government official, hold office in a political party, or be a manager, treasurer for a candidate, or political party
- Must not serve in the same precinct as a near relative
- Must possess good communication skills
- Must be comfortable using computers and other technology
- Must be good at following directions and adhering to procedures
- Must be able to work at least a 15-hour day
- Must work well under pressure
- Must attend a 4-hour training session prior to Election Day
“Serving as a precinct official can be a very rewarding experience and many choose to return election after election,” stated Marvin McFadyen, Elections Director, in a news release. Precinct officials must be available to work on Election Day, May 8, and may be compensated up to $175, based on their position assignment.